POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : About THAT idea... : Re: About THAT idea... Server Time
5 Aug 2024 18:19:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: About THAT idea...
From: ABX
Date: 13 Sep 2002 05:53:04
Message: <5793ou0tv62g00u8qg4tohak4uv89m3plc@4ax.com>
On 12 Sep 2002 18:53:14 -0400, "Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:
> > >people here don't like future requests :-/ afaik
> > Sorry... ehm... what you meant?
> I have meany good ideas, I may implement them in MY demostration program
> (C++ GCC) but I dont have time (now) to write path. And even if I do - so
> many interesting pathes are not included in official pov.

You are taking things wrong way, Rafal. You are thinking everybody sitting
here and waiting for new ideas to implement. That's not true. Look at my case.
I have to:
- rewrite sphere_sweep module
  http://news.povray.org/povray.unofficial.patches/27251/
- write mpeg port
  http://news.povray.org/povray.animations/26571/
- reimplement deform patch
  http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/13449/
- retry clone patch
  http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/14001/
- finalize my translation system for documentation
  http://news.povray.org/povray.documentation.inbuilt/26141/
- a lot of additions to iso_csg
  http://news.povray.org/search/?s=isocsg
- a lot of own SDL systems for animations and modelling
- a lot of small patches I think but have not precised
Note this all is only part of my hobby. I have to support some pages from
http://www.mdk.art.pl/ and mailing lists. Rafal, imagine, I also have wife and
two children and other family to see, house to finish, money to earn in
company, newspapers to read, movies to see etc etc. And I need to sleep, eat,
drink and piss :-)

I imagine every dedicated POVer has similiar problem. Moreover POV-Team have
to control newsgroups, websites, irtc, answer to mails, control donations and
related things like zazzle etc. etc.

So when you come here with ideas that's not that people don't like your
wishes. In case of me I can't get it to work becouse I'm busy man. But I can
quickly compare your ideas and express my opinion - it is something already
implemented as one of patches of features in 3.5, simple to hack with other
features or completly useless from view of my past experience.

You are saying you know C/C++ and you can't sit and write outputting raw
format to file during rendering ? I imagine it is about 30 min of effort. You
are spending more in this newsgroups per day. Phong ? Afaik is already
implemented. Buffering output for AA or enviroment map? It is not so easy but
not impossible. You can try if you wish. But don't expect we break our tasks
becouse you have a wish. If somebody need some feature and can simulate it
with existing features why he should spend e lot of time adding it in sources?

> What's the probelm to get now all pathes for pov, copy code, do few tests
> and release Pov 3.6 ?

You can find at http://abx.art.pl/pov/patches/patches.php?Date=All that there
was 14 ready patch-like ideas within one month after source releases not
counting wish-like ideas like your posts. I imagine every patch to be included
in something like 3.6 have to be first:
- rediscussed in the team
- investigated for possible bugs
- investigated for compatibility with other features
- have (re)written sample files and documentation
- checked for copyrights if necessary
- copied to sources
- compiled (a few times probably)
- included in installation packages
- uploaded to server
and all this with all tasks counted at begining of this mail. But hey! Why so
big effort if it is already published and if somebody who need it can
implement it yourself?

I repeat it last time Rafal: if you have skills, ideas, and compilers, connect
it as published patch. If somebody would find it interesting he could use it.
If more than two people would use it somebody can be interested in porting it
to official package.

And all this above doesn't mean I think current development model is perfect.
But I clearly see excuse for it. I hope you see it too, do you?

ABX